Former journalist and Republican candidate María Elvira Salazar has won Florida’s 27th Congressional District race and is headed to Washington, D.C.
The second time is a charm for Salazar, who lost to Democratic Rep. Donna Shalala when she first ran for office in 2018.
After an intensive campaign, the veteran reporter and longtime Spanish-language TV personality, defeated Shalala to win the very same seat she lost two years ago.
In 2018, Shalala won with 51.8% of the vote. Salazar got 45.8%. The Cuban-American journalist turned the vote around in the 2020 election. She won 51.4% of the vote, with her opponent picking up the remaining 48.6%.