The new network also unveiled key parts of its programming lineup featuring news, satire and original series.
Univision network anchor Jorge Ramos and León Krauze, Univision’s main anchor in Los Angeles, will lead Fusion’s primetime news block.
Fusion also announced today it hired David Javerbaum, 12-time Emmy Award-winner and former Executive Producer and Head Writer for “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,” as Executive Producer.
Javerbaum will oversee content for the network’s nightly block of satire programming and develop the next generation of comedy for the network.
Original series, specials and documentaries on weekend nights round out Fusion’s signature mix of current events, information, entertainment and humor.
Six of the nation’s biggest cable distributors have already agreed to carry the network, including Cablevision, Charter, Cox, AT&T U-verse, Verizon FiOS and Google Fiber.
Fusion’s digital presence will go live in October online and across mobile screens and tablets via video, graphics, memes and dogged journalism.
Fusion’s primetime news programming will include:
“America with Jorge Ramos” – the flagship program in Fusion’s primetime lineup, will be an hour-long show with Jorge Ramos, covering Ramos the biggest stories of the moment – from immigration and marriage equality to gun control and the criminal justice system – and do it for the first time in English. Airs weekdays at 8:00 p.m. ET
- “Open Source with Leon Krauze” – Krauze will break down on air what the talk of the day. The live one-hour program will address a wide spectrum of topics, from politics, the war on drugs and soccer to celebrity meltdowns, video games, movies and comic books. Airs weeknights at 10:00 p.m. ET
Fusion’s original nightly satire block will include:
- “Sports Bar” (working title) – a nightly sports comedy talk show hosted by two obsessive sports fanatics and one sports skeptic from the comedy troupe the Harvard Sailing Team. Using the format, energy, and spontaneity of sports talk radio combined with the topical humor characteristic of late night comedy and improvisational performance, “Sports Bar” will include beyond-in-depth and humorous discussion of recent sports news, interviews with athletes and commentators, comedy sketches, special guests and innovative opportunities for audience interaction. Airs Monday through Thursday at 9:00 p.m. ET
- A second primetime half-hour of innovative topical satire programming – created by Javerbaum and produced in conjunction with The Jim Henson Company (“The Muppets”) and ShadowMachine (“Robot Chicken”) – will be announced in the weeks ahead.
On Saturday and Sunday nights Fusion will air original series, specials and documentaries.
- “Strange Medicine” – a half-hour 12-part quest to find the strangest cures and most exotic medicines from around the world. Host Dr. Juan Rivera will search for and investigate alternative remedies and treatments, revealing their benefits and utility (or lack thereof).
- “Back Home” – From executive producer Diego Luna and Canana (“Milk,” “Y Tu Mamá También,” “Frida”), “Back Home” follows a different tastemaker each week on an epic and emotional voyage to their family’s country of origin.
For two hours every weeknight from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET, Fusion will air analysis and thought-provoking commentary.
- Alicia Menendez’s (currently untitled) program will be a fresh take on stories at the intersection of sex, money and politics. She’ll deliver analysis and commentary, leading a thought-provoking conversation with celebrities, newsmakers, journalists, experts and lively panel discussions. Prior to joining Fusion, Senator Bob Menendez’s daughter was a host and producer for HuffPost Live, co-hosted “Power Play” on Sirius XM Radio and wrote for NBCLatino.com. Airs weeknights at 7:00 p.m. ET
- “D.N.A.” – A fast paced, interactive show hosted by Derrick N. Ashong (aka “D.N.A.”), that will explore a wide variety of socially relevant issues spanning the arts, society, technology, business and politics. Born in Ghana and raised in Saudi Arabia, Qatar and New Jersey, Ashong will share his unique perspective on issues that impact the next generation. Airs weeknights at 6:00 p.m. ET
Mariana van Zeller will be the chief correspondent for Fusion’s enterprise investigative unit that will get to the core of underreported issues that matter most to the Fusion community.
Fusion will announce additional programming and talent deals leading up to October 28.