Under the theme of “All Together. Latino,” NBCUniversal Hispanic Group’s annual Upfront presentation emphasized the importance of digital in reaching younger audiences, announcing strategies targeting “Generation M” – Millennial, Multicultural and Mobile.
Company executives also recognized the power and impact of Latino culture in the market and pitched “CultureFirst,” an NBCU proprietary strategic approach to help inform advertisers’ decisions when designing campaigns directed to the Hispanic segment.
On the programming front, Telemundo boasted a 20% year-to-date ratings increase in its weekday primetime among adults 18-49, registering a record high share, 6 points more than a year ago, according to Nielsen.
The third season of “El Señor de Los Cielos,” which ranked #1 in Spanish-language in its daypart every night of the week among adults 18-49 and 18-34 delivering a 41% share, has fueled the network’s commitment to stick with its 10 pm strategy of faster-paced, action-packed and shorter scripted drama super series designed to return for multiple seasons.
Meanwhile, newly rebranded NBC Universo anchors its programming with sports, new scripted and reality shows.
Among its “Generation M” digital initiatives, the group announced:
- “Double Acción,” a concurrent scripted experience, which plays out storytelling on two screens via a mobile device while the TV show is playing.
- R.A.V.E (Real-time Augmented Virtual Experiences) to complement the viewing experience with multiple camera angles and incremental stories by combining a brandable attachment to a smart phone.
- An Interactive Comic Book Series which allows fans to insert themselves into the action via a mobile device, which they can then share with friends.
- A partnership with DEFY Media, an independent creator and distributor of digital content focused on the influential 13-34 demographic, to develop new social and mobile content specifically designed for “Generation M.” The partnership will be focused around DEFY Media’s popular Spanish-language channel, Clevver Teve, with initial initiatives centered around moms, fitness and beauty running across digital, linear and mobile platforms launching in the fourth quarter of 2015.
- FLUENCY studios’ “Ana Maria in Novela Land,” which recently aired on sister network Oxygen, will be seen on Telemundo, NBC UNIVERSO and on digital platforms in Spanish this fall. The studio’s next film will be the Psychological thriller “Sophie,” about a brilliant young marketing executive who is haunted by new details of her mother’s death.
Here’s the programming slate for 2015-16:
“La Querida del Centauro”
“El Señor de Los Cielos” Season Four
“Señora Acero” Season Two
“Bajo El Mismo Cielo,” inspired by Roger L. Simon’s original screenplay, “A Better Life,” narrates the story of an immigrant in search of a better future for his children.
“Celia” – the story of Cuban musical artist, Celia Cruz.
“Quién es Quién” – romantic story that leads twin brothers, separated at birth, to embark upon separate paths only to reunite them years later.
“La Indomable,” featuring singer/actress Lucero in her return to telenovelas.
“Doña Bárbara,” featuring Aracely Arambula in a new adaptation of the popular telenovela.
“Hasta Que Te Conocí” – biographical drama series based on the life of Mexican music icon Juan Gabriel.
“D.C: La Biblia Continúa,” (A.D. The Bible Continues)
“Francisco El Jesuita” – based on the best seller, “El Jesuita,” the only official and authorized biography of the Pope, this miniseries, chronicles the life and work of Pope Francis, Jorge Mario Bergoglio.
“Latin AMAs,” (Latin American Music Awards).
“The 2015 iHeartRadio Fiesta Latina” – music festival sponsored by iHeartRadio that will feature some of Latin Music’s top, best-selling artists, along with and new, up-and-comers.
“Billboard Latin Music Awards.”
“Gran Hermano” (Big Brother) – Telemundo’s newest Sunday reality show is the first-ever Spanish-language version for the U.S. Hispanic audience of Big Brother.
“La Voz Kids” Season 4 – the Sunday night singing competition returns with superstar coaches Daddy Yankee, Natalia Jimenez and Pedro Fernandez.
SPORTS & EVENTS:
“Escena Deportiva,” new signature sports show showcasing the latest results, news and highlights from top franchises in the U.S., the Americas and around the globe.
NFL – network will air six games in Spanish this upcoming 2015-16 season — four regular-season Sunday night games plus two playoff games.
LIGA MX – network will air all of the home games for Leon and Pachuca every Saturday night.
“Viña del Mar” returns for another three years.
“Top Chef Mexico” – featuring Hispanic chefs from some of the most acclaimed restaurants in the U.S. and Mexico, contestants will compete from some of Mexico’s most beautiful and spectacular locations.
“Reto Extremo: Fuerzas Especiales” – competition series that will feature Hispanic veterans from the U.S. Special Forces.
“El Sexo Débil” – dramatic series about five men who have it all and think they’re in control until they’re suddenly abandoned by the women around them.
“El Vato” – original scripted series starring regional Mexican star, El Dasa.
Source: Nielsen NPM, L+SD, 2015-to-date vs. 2014-to-date (12/29/14-5/1/15 vs. 12/30/13-5/2/14), strict daypart for M-F 7-11pm. TEL share based on sum of A18-49 impressions on TEL, UNI and UMA in strict daypart cited. El Senor de los Cielos 3 ranking against broadcast competition based on A18-49 (000), M-F 10-11pm strict daypart. Hispanic scale and reach for NBCU- avg monthly most recent 12 months, Hispanics A18+, Total Day. 6 min qualifier. C3 Data. Digital- comScore avg monthly most recent 12 months.