María Elvira Salazar announced her departure from MegaTV live at the end of “Mega Noticiero” last Friday, January 12, almost two years since she launched the newscast on the Miami station.
In her farewell message, she told viewers that former Univision 23 anchor Mario Andrés Moreno would take over the newscast starting this week.
During her one and a half minute farewell, Salazar expressed her gratitude to the station and her viewers, noting she was leaving the show for a “huge project” that she would soon announce.
She said she was aware of the many rumors surrounding what she’ll do next, but that news of her future plans would be revealed “very soon.”
One of the rumors in wide circulation is that she’ll run for the congressional seat that Ileana Ros-Lehtinen will vacate upon retiring this year.
The congresswoman has allegedly met with Salazar, but when asked about a possible run, she told the Miami Herald via email earlier this month “I am a news reporter, not a news maker,” and that her “plans are to continue being a TV journalist.”
Coconut Viewer says
Which party will she pick up ?
Is vastly known the coats she can wear, hence it will be interesting.
Now, the investors that have always carried her shows, are going with her or staying with Moreno?
Juanito 22 says
Vaya Vaya, La Taconera a DC
A ver si ahora si se le da.
Rene Fuentes says
It seems to me that the problem with Mega TV is a budgetary one. My impression is that the ownership is too cheap to keep good shows and good talent for long.
Over the last couple of years we’ve seen great shows/talent disappear or cut in half. Such as Esta Noche Tu Nite, Esta Noche Si, El Show de Jaime Bayly, and now Maria Elvira Zalazar. How much time does Oscar Haza have left, I wonder. Once he is gone, I will save the monthly fee I am paying DirecTv for the Spanish programing.
Mega TV should invest in good talent and programming, then that will attract good advertisers which will provide ownership a good return on investment.